From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: Sending FROM accounts in domain even with authentication enabled
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:01:11 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

"MAIL FROM" is an SMTP command, not a mail header... The DATA portion of the SMTP transaction is usually left mostly unmodified in its way to the client. Some additional headers are added (Return-Path, which corresponds to the MAIL FROM smtp command, Received, and other headers added by content filters).

You should never rely on the From header to programmatically determine where a message comes from, always on the Return-Path. The Form is easily forged. The Return-path too, but at least it can't be forged to an internal address when SMTP Auth is enabled.

One notable exception is when using a content filter such as DKIM/DomainKeys. DomainKeys will read the reported "From" address, and verify if the message signature matches the "From domain" public key. And if there is no signature, it will verify whether or not the "From domain" publicly announces it always sign messages. Using such a filter is another step against impersonation, which is what you currently seem to aim.

Best regards
Nicolas Hatier

David Modoski wrote:
Nevermind, I figured out the reason though not sure if there's a way to prevent it.

Apparently you can issue the "MAIL FROM:" command with an outside email address and then later in the transaction after issuing the DATA command you can insert a FROM: within the data portion which appears to over-ride the "MAIL FROM:" in the header. The only indication is in the long header where the "Return Path" is set to the real email address submitted.