From: Tim Pickard <tpickard@crossref.org>
Subject: Re: "we refuse to relay" and mailman
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:00:20 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I replied earlier but did not see it hit the list.  So I added the log as a link:

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Below are the sanitized log entries to protect the innocent and not so innocent.  Coworkers volunteered to get mail from the testlist to their crossref.org accounts and personal outside emails.

I tried to keep all the relevant entries.  I cut out the LOCAL deliveries as they are not part of the problem.

One other wrinkle that may or may not impact this issue is that we do use Postini service for our incoming mail.  Thus, our MX records point to their service and not back to our own outgoing IP.

Tim

http://www.crossref.org/tmp/maillog.txt

Lyle Giese wrote:
'We refuse to relay' means the remote host thinks you are asking it to
relay (redirect or trying to send email via them to a remote host they
are not responsible for).  Not that they think you relayed the message.

You are missing some other detail here yet.  Relaying has nothing to do
really with SPF and if they thought it was an SPF failure most hosts
just silently drop the incoming email.  So I think you can eliminate SPF
anyway.

You have Mailman setup to use your CGPro server as a smart host from
what info you are showing.

I think there is something else that is wrong that is not shown here
yet.   I would set the smtp sending log level to low level and you could
trace the message via the id (13608339 in this example) to get more
detail.  And in between the Queued and Dequerer message should be some
detail(not referenced by the message id unfortunately) that will be
helpful.  But you get a tight time frame based on timestamps and will
have a good idea where to look.

Lyle

tpickard@crossref.org wrote:

Hello all,

I have a problem with my email list messages being rejected by remote
hosts.
20:37:18.994 1 DEQUEUER [13608339] SMTP(gmail.com)address@gmail.com
failed: we refuse to relay

Initially, I thought this might be an SPF issue and updated our SPF
record in the DNS.  No change.

Perhaps it was the way the headers appeared.
  by crossref.org (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 5.2.10)
  with ESMTP id 13607978; Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:51:36 -0400"

Editing the hosts file to put the server IP and name in the first line
did not change the behavior.
  by crossref.org (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 5.2.10)
  with ESMTP id 13608028; Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:12:55 -0400"

I changed Mailman to force it to use the host instead of the loopback.
Still rejected.
Finally I reconfigured Mailman to use SMTP_AUTH and port 587 to send
out mail.  Still it appears to remote hosts as if they are relayed
messages.

I am stumped here.  Users do not have this problem sending messages
directly to the users in the list.

The last failed message headers: