From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: Re: Domain Change
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:46:38 -0800
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Actually, if wayxcable.com is your primary domain name, you can't change it, and without customization, webmail would still show wayxcable.com as the domain if you used an alias. And if that's the case, the HELO will always show wayxcable.com too.

You'd add wayxcable.com as an alias to mediastreamga.com to get jdoe@wayxcable.com to go into jdoe@mediastreamga.com. But you can't do that if wayxcable.com is the main domain.

Dealing with the main domain issue. If you can't change the domain to make it what you need, you probably can do it with router entries-- though you have to be careful not to disable postmaster access in the process. Assuming your main domain is wayxcable.com now, you could route everything to the new domain by:

  * Add a second domain for mediastreamga.com
  * Add a routing entries:
    <postmaster>=postmaster@wayxcable.com.here
    <*>=*@mediastreamga.com
  * Stop the server
  * Move all the folders except postmaster.macnt, LISTS and Settings from Accounts to Domains/mediastreamga.com
 * Start the server

Note that any accounts that have to remain in the main domain will also need router entries like the one for postmaster to force them back to the main domain, and would need their account folders left in Accounts.

It's complicated and messy, but doable. We ran ours like that for a few years. And it makes everyone have the new domain while they can still receive email at the old one.

Using the unknown names option I described yesterday would enable a more gradual phasing over, but that requires writing a script and may not be what you really want.

Bret