From: Rob Rooken <rob@enem.nl>
Subject: RE: [CGP-Update] [*] CommuniGate Pro 5.2.11 is released
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 21:53:40 +0100
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
We see this happening on Outlook 12 (2007) only (IMAP). it first authenticates with the username only, generates the error and than sccesfully in the user@domain format.

When we asked the OL 2007 users to change the @ for an % the errors disappeared. so user%domain will work the first time without an error.

From: CommuniGate Pro Discussions [mailto:CGatePro@mail.stalker.com] On Behalf Of John Souvestre
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:19 PM
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions

Hi Nicolas.

The problem definitely seems to be authentication related.  We saw the problem on POP connections, no MAPI.

From the log, as far as I could see it seemed that an attempt to authenticate was done without the domain name first, then with.  For example (with actual domain name changed to xxxxxx):

11:28:55.080 1 POP-000327([98.172.188.156]) failed to open 'kperry'. Connection from [98.172.188.156]:3046. Error Code=unknown user account

11:28:57.152 2 POP-000327([98.172.188.156]) 'kperry@xxxxxx.com' connected from [98.172.188.156]:3046

The failed attempt seemed to be followed by a valid one 2 seconds later, in general.

In line with your comment in the manual I see:

Note: Some Microsoft products send incorrect credentials when they detect that the server supports the NTLM SASL method. While those products then resend the correct credentials, the failed login attempts produce Failure-level Log records and may increase the "failed logins" counter too quicky, so the account becomes "temporarily locked".

But we don’t have the NTLM or MSN login methods enabled.  Perhaps this is the problem – that ver 11 uses them regardless?

Thanks,

John

   John Souvestre - Integrated Data Systems - (504) 355-0609