From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: SyncCGP question/note
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:11:35 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hello.

Shaun Gamble wrote:
Nicolas,

How can we donate money toward this project? I already am licensed for two of your products. As I have been ranting on this list about syncing CGP with TB, I'd like to place my money where my mouth is.
Just contact me directly. It's easier to handle this manually than having an automated way to collect donations.

I feel for you to get this product to a level where it can be used in production, you need to be happy with it and there needs to be documentation. You are a business so I'm sure a lot of people on this list would like to donate (and a lot probably already have). I subscribe to your site's RSS feed if you'd prefer to post it there.
I don't think I will write documentation for this product, I'm not a technical writer, and English is not my first language. I'm sure there is people using the extension who are more experienced than me with what end-users need in software documentation.

The extension model in Thunderbird does not really allows for packaged documentation, it is likely the documentation will have to be hosted on Niversoft's website and linked from the extension.
This is an important piece of software but you are a business.
Exactly. I'm proud of what I do but to really be stable this extension needs a few things:

1. A lot of testing that, even if I had the time to, I couldn't do because it needs to be done from several real-life situations where events, tasks and contacts are created using various tools

2. Ideally, a major code rewrite to remove several duplicate-but-slightly-modified sections of code.

3. Support for contact groups, which are supported in Thunderbird to but for which I'm not sure of the compatibility yet.

Regards,
Nicolas Hatier

Nicolas Hatier wrote:
This thunderbird extension is used to sync CGP contacts, calendar and tasks folder with the corresponding services available in Thunderbird: The address book, and the calendar and tasks services available when the Lightning extension is installed (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/)

You can add/delete contacts or events either in CGP or Thunderbird, the extension should be able to determine automatically in which direction the sync should be done. It also resolves duplicates by asking the user which instance to keep, but this eventuality rarely occurs and is not tested a lot.

The extension can be downloaded at http://www.niversoft.com/downloads/synccgp , and it will automatically update itself whenever a new version is available.

I don't think it's ready for production use, and since it's available for free, I don't have a lot of resources to put into testing - I'm relying on helpful people who will stress test it with their huge amounts of contacts, events and tasks created in various ways. Any contribution is welcome.

Please report any contact, task or event that does not sync, sync incorrectly or makes the extension behave incorrectly (such as stopping the sync). The raw content of the failed item, including all headers, should be sent directly to me so I can reproduce the problem and fix it for the benefit of everyone.

Regards,
Nicolas Hatier

Peter Clark wrote:
Apologies for being late to the game for SyncCGP - I got away for a few weeks and this is released!
Is there a site that discusses what this plugin does and doesn't do? I'm happy to devote some serious time if this might be a suitable calendaring client :)

Peter