From: Ben Hanes <bhanes@chori.org>
Subject: Re: iPhone push email with CGatePro
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:54:19 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Here is what I have found to work.

  1. Download the iPhone Configuration Utility : http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/iphoneconfigurationutility10formacosx.html
  2. Create a Config
  3. Setup Exchange is if it were CGP (do not enter username or password)
  4. Mail to all iPhone users

Here is the mail we sent out: (we put in a disclaimer to hopefully stop the phone from ringing off the hook)

Here is the CGP Profile for iPhone 2.0!  This will automatically configure the Exchange component of the iPhone, running firmware 2.0, for our CommuniGate Pro Server.

When prompted enter:

  1. username@chori.org
  2. username
  3. password

Enjoy,

Ben
--------

DISCLAIMER:

This iPhone configuration file is provided "as is" and is not supported by CHORI IT.  It works on our iPhone 2G running iPhone firmware 2.0.  You mileage may vary.

This stuff is easy as pie.  So far, here are some gotchas we have found with iPhone:

  1. Calendar named "Calendar" does not show up (strange, but we can rename the calendar and it's OK.
  2. Existing local calendars are removed, you are now forced to use CGP for all of your calendars.
  3. Same as above for contacts

Some Gotchas for iCal/Mac users

  1. Do not use spaces in your calendar names
  2. Adding attendees is not working for us right now (It looks like it's looking for free buys info and can't reconcile
  3. Time zone wants to lock in to UTC and we cannot figure out how to solve this one (sometimes it works)
  4. We still cannot Sync Address Book to CGP

This does go beyond your original question, but there goes.

Ben

Ben Hanes
Email Administrator
Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute