From: Peter Clark <plc@innoviatech.com>
Subject: Re: Exclamation mark in Apple Mail
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 06:06:27 -0700
To: <CGatePro>
what OS is the mail running on? 10.4 or 10.5?

On 2 Jun 2008, at 15:23, Auke Riemersma wrote:

That's what I suspected... I'll try restarting the mai server, or even better, restarting everything.

Aux

On 2 jun 2008, at 16:18, Gavin Lawrie wrote:

On 2 Jun 2008, at 14:12, Auke Riemersma wrote:

We've been having some problems lately, one of them is that all users encounter an exclamation mark in Apple Mail, on all folders. Sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes a restart of Mail is required. It is driving me nuts. Anyone any ideas?

If you mean an exclamation mark inside a little triangle shape, that is the symbol displayed when Mail can't connect to the mail server(s) defined.  If you click on the icon (or mouse over it) it gives you some sort of explanation.  I'm not sure the circumstances when this occurs - if you simply go 'offline' (by pulling the plug on internet) the icon changes to a tilde in a circle (to indicate 'offline').  But if the mail server is not reachable via internet, or goes down (or takes too long to respond, or ... ) you get the "unable to reach server" icon.  We get it when our mail server goes offline for some reason, or seems to due to local or remote loading on the internet connection between client and server.

Although restarting mail helps - I suspect that this indicates problem is not CGP related - unless your CGP server is also dying at about the same time.  Restarting mail might simply cause a time-delay during which connection congestion clears.  Anyhow - we've not seen this error being specifically related to either a Mail or CGP behaviour.  Simplest test might be to wait until you get the marks back, and then open a webmail session from same machine and / or a CGP Admin session.  If you get webmail / admin suggests problem is local.  If you can't raise either, suggests either server is down or congestion.  If it turns out server is down, fine, if not (look in logs) then suggests round-trip delays in your connection to server (or server loading being high?).

Or it may be something completely different... ;)

Regards

Gavin Lawrie

-----------------------------
2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@2gc.co.uk
Registered number: 3754183.Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/

----
MassiveMusic | Auke Riemersma
Oostenburgervoorstraat 85