From: Jon R. Doyle <jdoyle@communigate.com>
Subject: Re: I/O was "Max ram (tuning) in a system"
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:45:34 -0700
To: <CgatePro@communigate.com>
Hello;

We have a new Windows 2003 server with the latest version of CGP that suffers from I/O speed, but >very little of memory (RAM) is being used by CGP.  What can be done force CGP to use more memory in >an effort to enhance performance?

CGatePro using more memory will not solve any I/O bottleneck. Removing the bottleneck is what you want to do.

Background:
Generally very low CPU utilization (Two dual-core Xeons)
Mailboxes are on RAID 5 1TB array.
2+GB of free memory

Always stripe your RAID Array in 0+1 for Messaging systems that need to perform a lot of read/writes. Use as many spindles as possible. It is better for example to have 12 drive x 180 GIGa vs 6 x 320 GIGa.

If you are using external storage and NFS Solaris is the best for NFS performance. You did not mention subscribers (users) ? Windows should be fine properly configured if you are talking small sites, 10-40,000 subs. Above that, and depending upon what you are doing IMAP for example, you should think about some other options and configuration vs tuning.

Regards,

Jon