From: Brian Gibson <bgibson@wheatonma.edu>
Subject: Re: simple smtp server - suggestions?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:03:32 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I wish our Barracuda let us have different instances.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:53:23 +0000 (UTC)
 D Hill <d.hill@yournetplus.com> wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 at 16:39 -0500, bgibson@wheatonma.edu confabulated:

Hey everyone,

We are looking to set up an outbound SMTP server for people internally here to use with their email clients. Right now we have people send out through our Barracuda anti-spam appliance but they are competing for resources with the spamming scumbags that hit our Barracuda pretty hard. We don't want to use our CGPro server because I don't want it getting bogged down. Does anyone have a suggestions (Windows or Linux) for a piece of software? I want to avoid Sendmail, I have used it before and it is too cryptic for my taste.

We have two Postfix servers set up that filters all inbound messages. Each of those servers is also running a second instance of Postfix that handles outbound sending for our customers using SMTP authentication against our CGP server. Everything is running on FreeBSD. DNS round robin has been set up for the two outbound instances via Bind:

smtp.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.10
smtp.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.11

This has been working well for over six months now.

-----
 _|_
|_| |