From: Massimo Bolzoni <massimo.bolzoni@answervad.it>
Subject: Re: Server-side anti-spam tools for OSX
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:31:20 +0100
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi Scott,

Il giorno 13/nov/07, alle ore 21:44, Jensen, Scott C. ha scritto:

Folks,
    We're currently using only client-side anti-spam tools (except for RBL processing, which works well), and we're now thinking about getting a lot of iPhones for our staff, so I'm looking into server-side anti-spam tools.  I'm running CGP 5.1 on OSX 10.2.8, and it works great, but I'm finding that the server being an OSX box constrains my anti-spam choices a little.  Here's the options I've identified so far:

- SpamAssassin (free)
- SpamCatcher Plugin (from Communigate)
- Pollustop (from Niversoft)

    I don't have a problem spending a little bit of $ for the solution, but since this server only serves about 75 users, I don't want to go with a larger-scale solution like an appliance (Barracuda, etc) or external service (Postini, etc).  Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require too much supervision on my part, is configurable by each user to reflect their individual requirements for sensitivity, processing behavior, white lists, etc, and has very few false positives.  The users are 100% Mac-based, and are currently using Eudora for a client, but will soon be moving to Mail (and we use the webmail interface quite a bit) and the iPhone.

    My first question is: Are there any other solutions available to the OSX platform that I've missed?

I am actually validating mpp http://raeinternet.com/

For what I see till now it is quite a good solution.

HTH

Massimo

    Second question is: How well have these solutions satisfied y'all?  I'm especially keen to know how well they handle spam techniques like image and PDF spam, spoofed local senders, etc.  And also, how quickly do they handle new technologies as they emerge?

    I've been particularly impressed at the quality and attention to detail exhibited in the Niversoft skins...  Does the Pollustop product live up to the same standards?  Any gotchas with it (or any of the solutions)?

    Any and all comments are *much* appreciated, and thanks for the help!

                                                         ---SCJ

--
Scott C. Jensen
 Asst. Director for Information Services

Massimo Bolzoni - Solution Architect
ANSWER SRL
Polyserve Inc. - Matrix Server - www.polyserve.com
CommuniGate System GMBH - CommuniGatePro - www.communigate.com
Sede Legale: Via Rosario Livatino 9 - 42100 - Reggio Emilia (RE)
Sede Operativa: Via M.K. Gandhi 22 - 42100 - Reggio Emilia (RE)
Tel: +39 0522 286545
Fax: +39 0522 286233
Cel: +39 335 5278936
Le informazioni contenute nella presente comunicazione e i relativi
allegati possono essere riservate e sono, comunque, rivolte esclusi-
vamente al destinatario. La diffusione, distribuzione e/o copie del
documento trasmesso o degli allegati da parte di qualsiasi soggetto
diverso dal destinatario e'perseguibile ai sensi dell'articolo 616
Codice Penale e del Decreto Legislativo n. 196/2003.
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, Vi preghiamo di re-
inviarlo al mittente e distruggerlo.
Per informazioni potete contattare l'indirizzo privacy@answervad.it
***
is prohibited and it is punished by law. Please return it immediately
to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions,
please contact us at privacy@answervad.it