From: Andy Kunkle <akunkle@aimengr.com>
Subject: RE: Slow outlook sometimes
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:04:19 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

I have just about the same setup and I’m working through tweaking my server now. The one thing I can suggest is changing the number of Channels for IMAP to a number greater than the number of accounts you have. With 8GB of RAM your machine shouldn’t have a problem with this. It was set to 50 (meaning 50 listeners at a time) by default which was denying access to some users, and causing them to go offline and just generally causing havoc on the system.

You can find that setting under Settings > Domain > Access > IMAP >  Channels

I set mine to 300.

The other thing to look at is whether you are scanning incoming messages for SPAM or viruses. These programs are hogs and depending on the number of messages you get in an hour, they could be slowing things down as well. I suggest upping the Enqueuer and Dequeuer numbers to at least 25 (mine is set to 50). This allows the server to process more messages at a time. I also turned down the importance in the file system for cgpav and cgpsa by typing the following into a shell window:

ionice -c 2 `pidof spamd clamd`

The other question I have is what type of hard drives are you using? Are they SAS, SCSI, SATA? You can install sar (sysstat) and it will tell you I/O information on your file system to see if you’re hitting some maximum limits of the system.

Good luck.

Andy Kunkle

IT Administrator

AIM Engineering & Surveying, Inc.