From: Erich Bremer <erich@hsc.stonybrook.edu>
Subject: Re: Monitoring CommuniGate
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:18:31 -0700
To: <CGatePro>
I've been using OpenNMS for basic monitoring of services, but it has been difficult trying to get the SNMP collection to work.  CGP does not implement http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1213.txt and thus reports a negative ifIndex of -100, and so, OpenNMS refuses to collect without a hack.   It would be great if CommuniGate implemented RFC1213 so that statistics could be collected on a per interface basis.  - Erich

William Pratt wrote:
I'll second this suggestion. Nagios is quite powerful, free, and easy to extend by writing your own checks. I sent a cacti monitoring template out to the list a while back. If you want a copy, feel free to send me an email off list.

-Bill

Pascal Robert wrote:
We use Nagios (nagios.org) for monitoring :-)  For statistics, I would recommend enabling SNMP in CGP and use Cacti to collect the data.

Both Nagios and Cacti can be install with MacPorts.

Can anyone recommend any monitoring tools for CommuniGate? Ideally I'd like to see any failures, and perhaps average load and messages processed?
Obviously any stats are better than none.. :)

We're running OS X, so obviously Lithium (http://www.lithiumcorp.com) is rather appealing, any suggestions welcome though!

Erich Bremer
Associate Director, Medical Informatics Department
School of Medicine - Stony Brook University Medical Center
Tel.: 1-631-444-3560  -  Fax:  1-631-444-8873
Cell: 1-631-766-1849
erich@hsc.stonybrook.edu
Office Location/Mailing Address
HSC, L3: Room 119