From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: RE: messages are sent repeatedly
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:48:09 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> thank you Bret
> here is information, why i have : Greylisted for 5 minutes
> in the logs
> > 16:39:21.140 5 SMTP-000253(gecet.fr) inp: 450
> > <gecet-dg@gecet.fr>: Recipient address rejected:
> > Greylisted for 5 minutes

Greylisting is a technique for reducing spam. Essentially, receiving servers can, at their whim, decide that they aren't ready to accept email at this point in time and issue a temporary rejection. The criteria depends on how the other server's admin has set it up. Sometimes it just means, "I don't know you so you have to wait for a while before I'll take your mail." Sometimes it means, "I just got spammed by you and I want to see if you'll forget about delivering the spam."

There's not much you can do about the condition other than make sure your server is set up correct, including reverse DNS. Sometimes, using a sender authentication protocol like SPF or DomainKeys will make this go away as well.

Bret