From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp@newpaltz.edu>
Subject: Question regarding file systems and 'atime'
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:27:30 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi all,

As some of my previous questions/comments on the list might indicate I'm
doing everything I can to improve disk I/O on our CGP system (because
we're really pegged most of the day for disk I/O).

Currently of course the default (in any UNIX/Linux file systems I'm
aware of) is to when a file is accessed, the access time is changed.
This means for every file read, a file write is made as well - often
times completely unnecessarily.

My question is - does CGP use the file access time in ANY way
whatsoever?  Will remounting the file system CGP is using
(for /var/CommuniGate) cause any problems?

Confirmation from the Stalker folks on this list (or someone who is
already doing this) would be much appreciated.