From: Kirk Gleason <kgleason@finelight.com>
Subject: Re: Thunderbird integration (once again)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:02:34 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I wish you all the best of luck. My experience has been that they are note listening ...

Kirk Gleason
IT Manager
Finelight
101 West Kirkwood Ave
Bloomington, IN 47404
w: (812)339-6700
c: (812)606-9823

move people

On Oct 17, 2007, at 10:44 AM, John Rudd wrote:

Thirded.

We're looking at what to do with our enterprise calendar system (oracle calendar) sometime in the next year, to develop our 5 year plan for it.  The two big contenders are: use our existing CGP infrastructure, or start moving people to Google.

Right now, I don't know of an actually supported-by-CommuniGate client side solution for CGP's calendar/to-do list, other than syncing to Outlook with MAPI.  But we need at least Mac support, and at least one non-MS client.  And we need some form of professional data migration service from Oracle to whatever we choose.

There are some actually-supported-by-Google client-side options, and some open source options that directly aim at Google Calendar support (ermine for syncing to GPE calendar, for example).  For CGP, all I find is Outlook support.  Not even Entourage.  And then a bunch of mailing list entries for how you can sort of make something work for iCal, etc.

And, as others have stated, this isn't something that gets handled by simply being able to run pronto from a flash client instead of a web browser.  "Client support", to us, means it needs to be able to run off-line.  If I run this on my laptop, and then go out of wifi range (or outside of cell phone coverage, for tethering), I still need to be able to read my appointments and todo's.

We don't officially support PDAs right now, but several key management people also use that part of our oracle calendar.  I expect we'll also be asked to have some form of sycn-to-PDA support (though, most likely, those PDAs support Outlook and Exchange, so MAPI support might actually be good enough for them, as long as the MAPI support in CGP works with PDA based MAPI clients).

And, now that we're finally looking at migrating our mailing lists services off of our legacy system, we've also been asked to evaluate more than just CGP for that target.  So, we're going to have to compare things like CGP, Majordomo, Mailman, and probably Google Groups (even though Google Groups isn't currently part of "Google Apps for Education").  There may be one or two others that get added to that list.

The next 12 months will be a huge decision period for us, that could not only affect our future calendar plans, but that could in turn affect our mail server plans, etc.  For example, if we go with Google Calendar via "Google Apps for Education", why would we skip past the Mail/Calendar integration opportunity of also using Gmail via "Google Apps for Education"?   So, CommuniGate needs to pay attention.  Lists features, client support (Windows *AND* Mac support minimum, PDA and Linux being extremely good ideas, my recommendation being explicit support for Thunderbird/Sunbird, Outlook, and Entourage ... Mac Mail and iCal being nice), and professional services are going to be things we consider in making this decision.

I hope CommuniGate is listening.

Brian Gibson wrote:
I second that motion (:^)
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:29:59 +0200 (CEST)