From: Brian Gibson <bgibson@wheatonma.edu>
Subject: Re: Changing account storage foldering method
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:47:09 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
When we originally implemented CGPro on version 4 we tried to separate the student mail folders from the faculty/staff folders to spread  I/O out over 2 different drives sets. We were able to do this with sym links but there were a couple issues. After CGPro created the account we had to shut down CGPro and script the symlink creation of each user's new folder... this created downtime.

The second issue was when we went to delete the user's account, it left a strange shell of the account in the /var/CommuniGate/Accounts folder which made kind of a mess.

We ended up creating a RAID 1+0 set with four drives for the /var/CommuniGate/Accounts folder and we symlinked the SystemLogs folder out of there onto a different set of spindles. With the next iteration of the server we create we are planning on adding more RAID 1 sets to the RAID 1+0 to get better performance. We have 2200 users and every once in a while our Nagios system monitoring software tells us that the load on the server spikes and I am about 99% sure it is because of disk i/o bottlenecks.

One other thing that helped a ton for us was enabling mailbox indexing.
Brian Gibson
Systems Administrator
Wheaton College
508.286.3417