From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp@newpaltz.edu>
Subject: Re: Changing account storage foldering method
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:24:53 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 06:22 -0700, Dave Edick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding account storage foldering.
>  Right now, we're running 4.2.7 under Linux and have flat
> account storage with about 8000 accounts.  This server is
> frequently I/O bound due to everything being on a single
> volume.  So we're about to migrate to a new server which
> will have multiple mail storage volumes.  To accomodate
> this, I'd like to move to 2 letter 1 level storage
> foldering with symlinks to point to the various storage
> volumes.  Has anyone made a transition like this?  If I
> change the foldering setting on the server, will it still
> see the flat storage, or do I have to move all the
> accounts at the same time?  Can I gradually migrate
> accounts from the flat storage into the new folders?  We
> have two domains running on this server.  The second
> domain has a much lighter load compared to our main one.
>  Am I correct in assuming I can leave the smaller domain
> with flat storage?

I cannot add anything but I'm definitely interested in what Dave is
asking about.  We are planning on doing the same over the winter.  It
would be nice to gradually migrate the folders.  If there is no answer
from support or other users I'll probably test it out myself when I get
time - hopefully by the end of October.

> While I'm at it, I'm also considering upgrading to the
> current version of CGP at the same time.  We run a custom
> skin for our webmail (a modified version of the old
> Hotmeal skin) and use an external authentication script to
> authenticate against our LDAP directory.  Is there
> anything in particular I should know about making such an
> upgrade?

What version of CGP do you have now?  We moved from the 4.1.x series to
the 5.x series last year with no issues for our external authentication
script whatsoever (authenticating against LDAP on NDS).

Without knowing your specific environment no one can say for sure, but
it should be easy enough to test on a separate box though with your
specific script.  Just install the free version of CGP with some
accounts on a separate box and test authentication against your LDAP
server.