From: Dave Edick <dedick@stmarys-ca.edu>
Subject: Changing account storage foldering method
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:22:15 -0700
To: <CGatePro>
Hello all,

I have a question regarding account storage foldering. Right now, we're running 4.2.7 under Linux and have flat account storage with about 8000 accounts.  This server is frequently I/O bound due to everything being on a single volume.  So we're about to migrate to a new server which will have multiple mail storage volumes.  To accomodate this, I'd like to move to 2 letter 1 level storage foldering with symlinks to point to the various storage volumes.  Has anyone made a transition like this?  If I change the foldering setting on the server, will it still see the flat storage, or do I have to move all the accounts at the same time?  Can I gradually migrate accounts from the flat storage into the new folders?  We have two domains running on this server.  The second domain has a much lighter load compared to our main one. Am I correct in assuming I can leave the smaller domain with flat storage?

While I'm at it, I'm also considering upgrading to the current version of CGP at the same time.  We run a custom skin for our webmail (a modified version of the old Hotmeal skin) and use an external authentication script to authenticate against our LDAP directory.  Is there anything in particular I should know about making such an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

/Dave Edick/

--
/Dave Edick/   dedick@stmarys-ca.edu