From: Mark Boyce <mark@darkorigins.com>
Subject: Problem with verify return path?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:39:05 +0100
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi All,

Just spent a while tracking down this problem;

Emails from one particular domain were being rejected with;

11:49:06.09 1 SMTPI-50550([1.2.3.4]) Return-Path 'A.User@somedomaincom' rejected: no DNS A-data returned
11:49:06.09 4 SMTPI-50550([1.2.3.4]) rsp: 472 A.User@somedomaincom no DNS A-data returned

After checking their DNS I find that of their two MX's only one has an a record;

# host -t MX somedomain.com
somedomain.com mail is handled by 10 cluster-c.anotherdomain.com.
somedomain.com mail is handled by 20 cluster-d.anotherdomain.com.

# host cluster-c.anotherdomain.com

# host cluster-d.anotherdomain.com
cluster-d.anotherdomain.com has address 5.6.7.8

# host -t A somedomain.com
somedomain has address 2.4.6.8

Now okay I accept that their DNS is broken, but should CGP be rejecting the message as there is actually a valid route back?  It's just their first MX that is broken.

CGP Server Version 5.0.9 on Linux

Thoughts?

Best Regards

Mark