From: Dave Pooser <dave-stalker@pooserville.com>
Subject: Re: Apple iPhone won't receive email
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:35:30 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> For some reason there are settings that you can't
> configure and the sync takes care of.  SSL for IMAP and SMTP are
> among the settings.

Actually, those settings can both be configured through the phone's Settings
app, under "Mail" on a per-account basis. It defaults to using the standard
IMAPS port (993) but defaults to using port 25 for SMTP; both can be
overridden by appending the port to the end of the hostname, separated by a
colon: "host.example.com:587" for instance.

(I just got my iPhone and went through that problem. My biggest difficulty:
it's hard to type a complex password on the on-screen keyboard. I typoed the
first time and thought I had an SSL problem when it was really just a bad
password.)
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief