From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: RE: Excessive POP3 sessions.
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:41:54 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> Has anyone else noticed this sort of behaviour on his/her
> POP3 Access Monitor page:
>
> 118605 [216.26.223.105] 9min
> Unauthenticated
> 119011 [216.26.218.233] 7min
> Unauthenticated
> 119205 [216.26.218.233] 6min
> Unauthenticated
> 119370 [216.26.223.105] 5min
> Unauthenticated
> 119503 [216.211.72.243] 4min
> Unauthenticated
> 119569 [216.26.223.105] 4min
> Unauthenticated
> 119695 [216.26.216.166] 3min
> Unauthenticated
> 119906 [216.26.216.166] 2min
> Unauthenticated
> 119950 [216.26.223.105] 2min
> Unauthenticated
>
> In my case, it started a couple weeks ago with one customer
> making up to the allowed 5 connections from a single IP address and
> then just sitting there.  By last week, it was up to two
> customers and now it appears to be 3 or 4.
>
> Is this a new virus or something?

I'm not seeing it here, though I was having a firewall issue that was
preventing successful communication to some machines. Upgrading the firmware
this morning seems to have resolved my issue here.

Another possibility is that these are Windows Vista computers using wireless which have not disabled the automatic frame size tuning protocol. With that enabled, the data between the email client and the server gets corrupted and ends up causing very weird symptoms including the inability to authenticate sometimes.

Bret