From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp@newpaltz.edu>
Subject: Re: SpamHaus listing of CommuniGate servers
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:09:40 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 15:01 +0200, Gilles Depeyrot wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> > A simple lookup with DNS of dolphin.fr finds no A record, though an MX
> > record has to exist.
> I will check that with our provider. However, I see no issues listed using:
>
> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=dolphin.fr
>
> > When your server issues a HELO/EHLO, it is most likely identifying itself
> > as dolphin.fr.
> >
> Yes.
>
> > The A record for dolphin.fr does not HAVE to point to your mail server,
> > but it has to point SOMEWHERE.  Most likely it should be pointing to the
> > same system as www.dolphin.fr - otherwise you have more than just mail
> > problems.  You're leaving out people trying to get to your site without
> > www (which a LOT of people do).
> >
> Using just http://dolphin.fr does point to www.dolphin.fr in a web
> browser though.

Then you appear to have some internal DNS or other name service which is
directing dolphin.fr to somewhere, but not anyone in the internet.  The
name servers for dolphin.fr (ns1.completel.fr and ns2.completel.fr) both
report that an A record dolphin.fr is not found.

> However, www.dolphin.fr and serveur .dolphin.fr are two different servers.
>
> > Another problem could be that you cannot be reverse connected to.  All
> > of your MX servers (listed below) are not responding on port 25.
> >
> > serveur.dolphin.fr
> > relay1.completel.fr
> > relay2.completel.fr
> >
> I don't have any issue connecting on port 25 of these servers.
> serveur.dolphin.fr is our main MX and the last two are backup servers
> from our provider (Completel).

It seems fine now - it wasn't connecting on Friday when I checked so it
must have been a temporary issue (possibly somewhere between us).