From: Reece Webb <webbre@gse.harvard.edu>
Subject: Spammers bypassing Appliance!
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:19:24 -0700
To: <CGatePro>
Greets,

We've run into a problem which is only getting worse; spammers are bypassing our spam appliance, which sits in front of our CGP server. The only MX Record for our domain points to the appliance, so I'm guessing that these spammers are not performing MX lookups.

We have mobile users, so I don't think we can set the Remote Address Restrictions on the SMTP Listener to only accept mail from the appliance.

On the Server Protection page, we have all of our network segments listed as LAN IP's, we treat all LAN IP's as Client IP's, and we allow mobile users to authenticate and be treated as Client IP's.

I called Support yesterday and they were helpful, but I still wanted to throw this out there... is there any way to only allow SMTP from Client IP's? (so this would allow SMTP from all LAN IP's, and any mobile users who have authenticated)

Is there maybe something else I'm not thinking of which might thwart these spammers?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Reece