From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: RE: RDNS lookup without mail rejection?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:58:40 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 11:18 -0700, Bret Miller wrote:
> > > Have you got to the bottom of this? does integrating with
> SpamAssassin
> > > help?

> > > reverse DNS of the
> > > if HELO or MAIL FROM is wrong?
> >
> > No. Haven't figured this out. I suspect it's not possible.
> >
> > The idea is that SpamAssassin DOESN'T do its own RDNS
> lookup, so it's necessary for the MTA to provide that
> information. BUT, I have a few people we need to remain in
> contact with who have very badly configured mail servers.
> >
> > So, I want the information without the rejection so it can
> be processed by rules and helpers.
> I am not sure if this will make sense to you but would you consider
> running two MTAs? such as exim on port 25 and CommuniGate in the
> background? The main problem with that I believe is if you
> are not using an LDAP server for authentication.

That's an easier option in a non-Windows environment. My server is on Windows and not likely to move any time soon. Plus you have another set of problems with determining who to accept email for when you add another relay in front of your main server. It's not impossible, but it's not clear either.

> > I realize that I could manage this myself,
> And I will be interested if you would kindly let me know what happened
> or if I can be of help.
> >  but then every rule and helper that needs the information
> has to do it itself because you can't add it to the header
> and have another rule's helper see that information.
> >
> > So I guess this becomes a feature request that will likely
> never be done...
> > And I'll have to write my own code to do it again. <sigh>
> I have had bad experience with external helpers that were not approved
> by Stalker and the CommuniGate server for some reason.
> Whether they were
> performance issues or weired one. But then again that might be my
> problem alone

Bret