From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: Feature request: temporary greylist
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:01:01 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I think this has been requested before, but I'm going to do it again. Grey listing is being done more often, even by big servers like Yahoo and MSN/Hotmail as a method of reducing spam. Essentially the theory goes like this: we received spam from you, so we are now going to delay your email for a certain length of time. For many spammers, this is enough for them to give up delivering the spam.

I think this would be an easy feature to add to CGPro because it essentially already exists. The temporary blacklist works pretty much like a greylist would except it uses a 5xx rejection code instead of a 4xx code.

Here's how this feature would work in CGPro:

1. Provide CLI functions to add, remove, and enumerate the temporary greylist.

2. If an IP exists on the temp greylist, issue a 4xx rejection for the message before the data phase.

3. Provide a method of time-expiring the greylist entries, and settings that control the length of time IPs remain on the list.

4. (Optional) provide a rule action to "Add to greylist" so that admins could add IPs to the greylist based on results from external helpers.

Thanks,
Bret