From: Dave Pooser <dave-stalker@pooserville.com>
Subject: Re: Case Study Request
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:09:20 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> I am currently experiencing a fatal error on my CGP Server running on an
> xserve G5 with Mac OS 10.4.10.  The problem is an HFS bug in 10.4 that occurs
> when using many small files.  This causes the server to kernel panic and
> restart.  We are running CGP 5.1.11 with mdir mailboxes.  We are not
> particularly tied to the mdir format, but we do like it for backup purposes.

How many files are you talking? We use a mix of mdir and mbox for folders--
generally using mdir for Inbox, Sent Items and other volatile boxes and mbox
for archive folders-- and we're backing up in the neighborhood of 400,000
files (90GB total) without difficulty. Server is running 10.4.9 Universal on
a dual-processor G5 Xserve, data is stored on a Xserve RAID formatted
HFS+Journaled. Everything has been rock-solid.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief