From: Ben Hanes <bhanes@chori.org>
Subject: Case Study Request
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:39:39 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hello Everyone,

I am currently experiencing a fatal error on my CGP Server running on an xserve G5 with Mac OS 10.4.10.  The problem is an HFS bug in 10.4 that occurs when using many small files.  This causes the server to kernel panic and restart.  We are running CGP 5.1.11 with mdir mailboxes.  We are not particularly tied to the mdir format, but we do like it for backup purposes.  I am looking for solutions to my problems by polling the community to see if I can find people who are using my proposed fixes.

History:
We were running CGP 5.1.11 on a xserve G4 with Mac OS 10.3.9.  The server was connected to a xserve RAID via Fibre Channel.  The RAID version is 1.5.  We are using mdir for the mailbox format and have 400 users.  This configuration has lasted for 4 years with no problems.

Current:
We are currently running CGP 5.1.11 on an xserve G5 with Mac OS 10.4.10.  The server is connected to a xserve RAID via Fibre Channel.  The RAID version is 1.5.  We are using mdir for the mailbox format and have 400 users.  We are currently experiencing an HFS error.  After a new crash, I read the panicdump and searched the error.  It looks like I'm not the only one...

Here is an interesting read:

Proposed fixes:

Fix 1:

Convert all mdir mailboxes to mbox and keep the existing hardware.

Fix 2:

Since we are having problems with the Mac OS 10.4.10 Operating System and HFS, we are proposing to move the Message Store to live on a DELL/EMC SAN using NFS.  The format for the xserve RAID is HFS (Hierarchical File System).  We hope that moving CGP to an NFS (Network File System) will solve our existing problems.  In this configuration, we would keep mdir as the mailbox format.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks

Ben
Ben Hanes, ACTC, ACDT
Senior Systems Analyst
Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute
5700 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Oakland, CA 94609
Phone 510-450-7623
Fax 510-450-7947
Email bhanes@chori.org
www.chori.org

The email message (and any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message (and any attachments).