From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: RE: Received headers
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:14:02 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> Is it possible for Communigate to not add a received header for
> messages submitted via HTTP?

Not AFAIK.

> Lately I have found at least two email systems that check *all* of the
> IP address on received headers instead of just the submitting host.
> Many of this IPs are on dynamic ranges so they are more often than not
> on some dynamic ip dnsbl.
>
> I'm thinking of using Niversoft removeheader script for this, but I'm
> usually weary of running external scripts for the potential
> performance impact.

So what happens if that same user inserts a message using SMTP to your
server? A received header gets added with the same IP address. Why should
HTTP be different from SMTP, POP (XMIT) or MAPI (XSUBMIT)? The first header
should always be where the message originates.

Any mail system that checks all received headers and rejects messages based
on the originating header being dynamic is going to reject email from the
vast majority of home users even when sent through their ISPs. That means,
most AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, Verizon, Quest, ATT, roadrunner, comcast, ...
providers simply get their users email rejected because virtually all
dialup, cable and DSL customers are on dynamic IPs.

Breaking your server to work with a server that is THAT broken and offensive
isn't work the effort.

Bret