From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@wcg.org>
Subject: RE: Integration with your Invironment
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:02:31 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
> Can anyone explain me what does Stalker.com relly mean with:
>
> Microsoft Exhange and Active Directory authentication and
> provisioning - domain support across a combined environment?
>
> I have questions like:
>
> - 'What' can I integrate with CGPro in AD? Or should I ask:
> with AD in CGPro?
> I guess I am having a hard time trying to understand what do
> they mean with integration and how can I do it?

CGPro can "integrate" in a couple ways:

1. If you're running on a Windows-based server, you can authenticate
accounts through the OS Password using their domain password, assuming you
can tie the account names directly to AD.

2. It can, with the right setup, use AD as it's directory server and thus
provide direct provisioning of accounts through AD. I can't comment on the
correct setup of this, though I expect it would involve extending the AD
schema to support CGPro.

3. It can, with appropriate script coding, use LDAP to connect to AD to
authenticate users (see cgAuthLDAP.pl on www.stalker.com/CGPerl which
requries a small mod for authentication to AD), and if said external
authentication script implemented the NEWUSER feature, could cause new
accounts to be added automatically the first time they authenticate or
receive a message. Doing any of this currently limits the authentication
methods CGPro can support to "plain text login" since in order to
authenticate, the script needs to know the password, which isn't passed in
any other authentication method.

With options 1 and 2, in theory, you can set up kerberos authentication so
that logged-in users aren't required to separately authenticate with CGPro.
I say "in theory" because I have yet to make this work here, but a few
others have been successful at doing it.

HTH,
Bret