From: Brandon Handeland <Lists@mx.handeland.org>
Subject: Re: Rejected email
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:43:28 -0600
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Jim Steil wrote:
Hi:

I regularly get email bounced back to me from some of the big ISPs, including Earthlink, bellsouth, at&t, juno and netzero. The returned email always says something like this:

Failed to deliver to <insertyournamehere@BELLSOUTH.NET <mailto:RICHARDSONSTRAVL@BELLSOUTH.NET>> SMTP module(domain bellsouth.net) reports:

gateway-f2.isp.att.net: No SMTP prompt at the host

From the CGP box, try:
$ telnet gateway-f2.isp.att.net 25

It should respond like this:
220 bellsouth.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX frfwmxc09 #552
quit
221 bellsouth.net

If that fails, try that from a few different IP addresses on that subnet to see if you get the same results. Otherwise, you may want to try from another subnet to see if they have blacklisted connections from that IP/Subnet.

Is there something wrong with my CGP config that is causing this? I've tried numerous times to contact them on this but my time is limited and can't spend days on the phone running into a brick wall. Any pointers as to where I could look for a solution?

-Jim