From: Dan Wright <CGatePro@computerx.com>
Subject: Re: Moving to Exchange
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:20:29 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I'm hesitant to respond since I don't see much point in off topic discussion.  I just keep hoping that someone has done a CPG -> Exchange 2007 migration successfully.

From this post <http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1609273&SiteID=17> it looks like a swing migration using a 2003 server might be the ticket.  If I find a way that works I will post back here.

For the record I'm with David who said:

And honestly, my chances of staying with CGPro have been reduced since
October 2004 and all-but-nonexistent since, oh, Feb 1 2005.)

I used to recommend CGP to all my clients.  Ten years ago it was an obvious choice.  Now I tend to suggest Exchange. Exchange is miserable to administer but the user experience keeps getting better.

As long as were talking about other mail servers,
as anyone tried the Kerio mail server. It supports
groupware for Mac & PC, for both Outlook and Entourage.

Someone else has written the pros and cons of Kerio better than I could.  My biggest problem was the speed.  I have also been doing CGP so long that I found their paradigm awkward.  Of course now that Stalker has rearranged their admin UI I find it awkward too.

Off the top of my head I have administered Exchange 5.0, Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003, Exchange 2007, Mercury Mail, First Class, EIMS, WorldMail, Quickmail, MDaemon, MailEnable, Merak, PostFix, IMAPd (UW and Cyrus,) exim, qpop, and probably others.  I don't like any of them.  Nothing gives me the power of CGP and the user experience of Exchange.  I had great hopes back when Stalker wanted to be a Exchange killer but with the shift of focus from groupware to messaging I have lost interest. I still run CGP at home and for dedicated Mac clients but I have been trying to get rid of the mac bigots.  I like the idea of putting CGP in front of an Exchange server so I have decent logging and the ability to route mail intelligently.

A warning to those who want to go Exchange.  You have been spoiled by the power of CGP.  Trying to get basic troubleshooting or advanced routing to happen in Exchange will reduce you to tears.  It is a shame Stalker has decided to deemphasize CGP as a groupware platform.

Exchange 2007, IMO, is not ready for production.  There were a lot of changes under the hood and it has the feeling of a pre-release product.  If I got to make decisions purely on technical merit I would wait until SP1 comes out and see what people think.  Right now it has some big flaws.

Sorry for the long winded and off topic reply.

Dan