From: Dan Wright <CGatePro@computerx.com>
Subject: Re: Using IMAP outside the office
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 13:54:44 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:29:12 +0100
 "Martin.Hepworth" <martinh@solidstatelogic.com> wrote:
Aaron

I'd also look at using the MAPI connect for the outlook clients, its a lot better than using plain imap with Outlook (which isn't that brilliant!)

I second the suggestion for the MAPI connector if you are using Outlook. It is far from perfect but it is better than Outlook's IMAP implementation.

I also set up a second SMTP listener (I use 2525 so I can remember it) to avoid ISPs that block 25.  You never know what network a laptop is going to end up on and expecting a user to understand why they can't send email from the free wireless at the community center is unrealistic.

The suggestion of using SSL/TLS is obviously better but using a alternate port is a cheap and easy solution.

Dan