From: Matthew Black <black@csulb.edu>
Subject: Re: Using IMAP outside the office
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:33:14 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
When enabling SMTP AUTH, consider using port 587
with TLS as that is the de facto standard. If you
want to *force* SSL, I believe that port is 465.

Use of port 587 conveniently gets around ISP blocking
port 25. TLS allows client-initiated encryption.
Be sure to configure TLS to optional/preferred rather
than required. Also, be sure to set SMTP AUTH as
required on port 587 so that spammers cannot send
through that port.

matthew black
network services
california state university, long beach