From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: Using IMAP outside the office
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:44:10 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

This is probably a misconception of the Relay feature. CGP will never allow a stranger to relay through your server unless you invite them to.
The Relay feature allow _clients_ (either by recognizing their IP address, their e-mail address, or through authentication) to send a message through your server to a third-party. This is exactly what you're trying to do.

The default settings (with Relay on) will allow anyone using a return-path from your domain to send to anyone. Most people use this setting, but SMTP Auth is better, as it will allow only people who enter a password through their SMTP session to send mail to a third party.

SMTP authentication is usually enabled on CGP, what you want is to FORCE it. This is just another option to turn on in CGP. After (or preferably before) forcing it, you need to configure email clients to use SMTP auth. This also is usually just an option to turn on - "Use SMTP authentication". Some mail clients will ask you to enter the username and password, some others will be able to use the information from the IMAP or POP settings.

Nicolas

Aaron Willems wrote:
Re: Using IMAP outside the office Yes, this is what I suspected, that the Outside ISP’s are blocking Port 25

Yes, users can always retrieve email through Outlook or Entourage and even send to other people at the company. Just not to outside people. I don’t know how to set up SMTP authentication. No, I don’t want turn on the Relay feature as this would be an open invitation to Spammers to turn our Mail site into an Open Relay. Also many companies don’t allow for incoming email through a Relay.

--
Aaron Willems
Systems Administrator