From: Lyle Giese <lyle@lcrcomputer.net>
Subject: Re: Using IMAP outside the office
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:34:59 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Aaron Willems wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I thought I'd ask you guys this question, I tried working with technical
> support and got nowhere. I need to know if Communigate supports this
> feature. But before I post my question, let me just say this. I did not
> configure our mail server. I'm not an engineer, I'm just a support person,
> there is no engineer on site, so I'm hoping you guys can help.
>
> We're currently running Communigate Pro 5.1.9 on an IBM server via Windows
> 2000 Server SP4. The mail clients are all IMAP based. When the clients work
> from the office they can use Entourage or Outlook to send email. When they
> leave the office they can mo longer send emails to outside clients only
> other staff members. They are forced to use the Web browser or change their
> outgoing SMTP settings to their home ISP's SMTP settings.
>
> Is there a way to get the IMAP protocol to work on other ISP network's
> meaning outside the office? I've clicked on the Allow logins from non-client
> IP address, and it did not work. I get these errors messages when I try,
> Relay prohibited, you are not allowed to relay email. I obviously don't want
> to turn on the relay feature, so I tried putting my username and password in
> the outgoing SMTP settings and it made no difference. I got this error
> message instead, relaying prohibited you should authenticate first.
>
> What am I missing? Can I get this to work or not? I could really use your
> help.
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Instead of username, put your full email address in your email client.

I would setup an SMTP listener on port 587 and open that up in your
firewall and use SMTP Auth when not in the office. And setup the clients
to use port 587 for SMTP. Many ISP's are now blocking port 25 outright,
except to their own mail servers.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.