From: Michael Wise <spiski@okean.com>
Subject: Re: MacOS X Upgrade to 5.1.11 Issues
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:06:41 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

On 2007.07.27 12:48 PDT (UTC -7) Jakob Peterhänsel wrote:

Well,

As the CGP installer does not install any kernal extentions, there are no reason what-so-ever to reboot the OS.
Using launchd is the correct, and by Apple recommended, way of making sure services/deamons run.

The great thing about launchd, is that is will/can then also monitor the process and make sure it get's restartet in the rare event that is should crash.

Startup Items are for OS X 10.0-10.3, launchd is for 10.4+

Wanna know more? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

Agreed, which is why I often wondered why all previous Mac CGP installers demanded a restart. That's not "Mac'ish" at all....unless the CGP engineers are applying OS 9 (and earlier) sentiments to modern times.

I just found it odd that after years of engineering their Mac installers to require a restart (when they never really needed one) to suddenly stop with no comment. Coupled with several days of broken and still not fully functional Mac installers, I thought yet something else might be broken.

--Mike

    */Jakob Peterhänsel/*

"Be a part of the Love Generation - carry a smile, not a gun."
- JP, May 2006

Email:     jakob@hjemme.dk
AIM:         Marook
Phone:     +45 29687104