From: Matthew Black <black@csulb.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:53:38 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:20:33 -0400
 "Brian Gibson" <bgibson@wheatonma.edu> wrote:
Hello all,

We use the open source Nagios system/network monitoring software and yesterday when someone sent out a message to 5 mailing lists at once (together they get everyone on campus), the load average on the mail server jumped to over 7.

The only setting I can see for how the LIST module processes list messages is the number of LIST processors. We have 2 set now, that was what was recommended to us during our implementation talks with Stalker. Should we have more or less? (would having only 1 mean it could only process one list at a time? Maybe that would be a good thing, it would be slower but it wouldn't be trying to deliver to multiple people at once and cause extra disk i/o?).

We have 135 mailing lists but maybe 20 of them get regular use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (:^)

On our 2x2 dynamic cluster we set the number of
list processors to 10. Distributions to 2500 people
take less about 15 seconds.

matthew black
network services
california state university, long beach