From: Brian Gibson <bgibson@wheatonma.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:20:33 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hello all,

We use the open source Nagios system/network monitoring software and yesterday when someone sent out a message to 5 mailing lists at once (together they get everyone on campus), the load average on the mail server jumped to over 7.

The only setting I can see for how the LIST module processes list messages is the number of LIST processors. We have 2 set now, that was what was recommended to us during our implementation talks with Stalker. Should we have more or less? (would having only 1 mean it could only process one list at a time? Maybe that would be a good thing, it would be slower but it wouldn't be trying to deliver to multiple people at once and cause extra disk i/o?).

We have 135 mailing lists but maybe 20 of them get regular use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (:^)