From: Shaun Gamble listrdr@redco.com.au <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Subject: Re: Archival solutions
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 13:22:55 +1000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
The problem is not really the archiving but the retrieval process. I've just costed Paul's solution and the price is over $10,000 so not an option for us but it sounds ideal. I am looking at other options but being a small business means it is either too pricey or if not, just as complicated as my current free option.

On 7/08/2018 11:47 PM, Tom Rymes trymes@rymes.com wrote:
Thanks, Shaun, that does sound excruciating.

Could using a Community Edition server that stores its files on the NAS and retrieves e-mails via POP (as Paul Dudley's solution does) at least let you get the files off of your main server and avoid the whole Thunderbird archive dance you perform?

Tom

On 08/06/2018 7:21 PM, Shaun Gamble listrdr@redco.com.au wrote:
Our "solution" at the moment is to have an extra account in the main domain and use server based rules to place a copy of all incoming and outgoing emails into this account.

Lowest priority server rule so you can exclude viruses etc.

Human Generated -> is
Any recipient -> not in -> (those accounts you do not want to back up emails from, including this backup account)
 From -> is not -> Backup account (so when you do have to forward an archived email to a user, it doesn't back it up yet again)

Mirror to -> yourspecialbackupaccount@maindomain

You then setup account based incoming mail rules for this specialbackupaccount

Header Field -> is -> *domain1
Header Field -> is not *X-Stored-In: NameOfFolderForDomain1*

Add Header -> X-Stored-In: NameOfFolderForDomain1
Store in -> NameOfFolderForDomain1

You'll have a number of these rules in the account, depending on how many folders you want. The last account based rule you need to have is something like this:

Header Field -> is -> *X-Stored-In:*

Discard

You need this rule as every single email which has been mirrored to this account will have been stored but you have to discard the email as a copy is stored in to the folder, no the actual mirrored email. So if you do not discard, you will have duplicates. However you cannot simply discard all emails as sometimes this account will receive warnings, etc. from the server and will not be an email to be archived. This header field check ensures emails meant for the account are received and stay in the Inbox.

Based on the multiple domains we have, rules are based on headers and store a mirrored copy of these emails into particular folders within this IMAP account. Like so:

account -> root folder -> domain1
                                         -> domain2
                                         -> domain3

So there is a folder for each domain within the root folder to make it easier to source files when people require access to older, deleted files.

I then use ThunderBird (IMAP client) to once a month select each folder and archive it. This creates the folder (in the root folder) Archives -> Year -> Month -> DomainName . Once every three months I then manually copy (at the OS level) these archived folders across to a NAS and then delete the source folders through the IMAP client.

Does this sound excrutiatingly bad? It is. Unfortunately I see no other option within CGP. If I have archived off the folder to the NAS and need to access an email, I manually copy the folder for the domain and month back to the CGP server and add it in using the IMAP client again. I have been doing this for years now.

It is free. It is a major PITA. However, even paid options did not give me the accuracy I require. Nor do they give me the ability to free up hard drive space on my mail server and onto RAID based NAS devices.

Let me know if you want more information. For one of our larger domains which is high volume emails, I even break the domain down into departments to try and keep my sanity when being called upon to restore the email.

On 7/08/2018 7:12 AM, Tom Rymes trymes@rymes.com wrote:
In the past, folks on this list have discussed various options for archival of inbound and outbound emails, ranging from community edition servers and routing rules to commercial solutions.

We are looking to improve what we currently do in this area, and I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a solution that they like, and that isn’t massively expensive (as many of the commercial services are).

Tom

Shaun
Fitzroy Island <http://www.fitzroyisland.com> Cairns, QLD
Destination Darwin NT <http://www.destinationnt.com> Darwin, NT