From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: bdx 2GB Limit?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:30:33 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

I would recommend to try the mslc format instead of mdir.

mdir Mailboxes with lots of small messages will take some time to open on a few filesystems, because CGP doesn't index mdir messages and has to open each one to get mailbox info.

mdir:
quick delete
quick insert
quick read (message)
slow read (mailbox)
easy backup (lots of small files)

mbox
quick insert
slow (but deferred) delete
medium-quick read (message)
quick read (mailbox)
slow backup (single bulky files)

mslc
quick insert
medium (but deferred) delete
medium-quick read (message)
quick read (mailbox)
medium-quick backups (small number of relatively small files)

Your mileage may vary regarding mdir vs mbox performance, but in 2+ years of mslc I didn't read a single comment against that new format, which has all the qualities of mbox, while keeping the file sizes small enough to allow easy backups.

Nicolas

On 2015-04-22 19:26, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, all...

These are all great suggestions. I have converted all of my mbox-based accounts to mdir (CGP 5.4.10 on OS/2). Discounting the file size limit for a moment, there are a number of important reasons why one would not want to allow mbox files to grow to such sizes, not the least of which are risk of data loss (a damaged mbox file means the potential loss of thousands of messages in one shot), performance, and backup (locking a 1+ GB file simply to back it up - or *not* being able to access it for backup because it's in use - can be a major issue.

I've used Niversoft's script to just convert mbox files one account at a time to mdir (I host some pretty involved foldering for some people, not limited to just the inbox and sent folders, but several layers deep, with archival storage, to boot). The process has been extremely smooth and painless. Making each message its own file makes backups a snap (even though puling the data can take considerably longer, just for the sheer number of files on the server), and while rare on a RAID array, a damaged file won't destroy an entire folder of messages.

Until we have a CGP 6 build for OS/2 I can't comment on sliced mailboxes and how they perform. (In my case, all mailboxes are on JFS volumes.) Still, at least switch to mdir. You'll be glad you did. :-)

On 04/22/15 06:08 pm, Tom Rymes thus wrote :
Better yet, make sure that the user and/or domain is set to use your preferred format for new mailboxes. Then make sure that the user has all clients closed, including mobile. From there, log into webmail and rename the inbox. CGP will automatically create a new one in the specified format.

Tom

PS:  if you are running into this problem with inboxes, it's only a matter of time before you run into this problem with sent mail folders.

On Apr 22, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Juergen P. [core] <juergenp@core.at> wrote:

hi,

yes you can convert to sliced or maildir mailbox ...

there are many ways to do that. here's a script for example from niversoft : http://www.niversoft.com/products/cgscripts/#convert_mailboxes
you can also create a new user with the correct settings and copy the contents of that account to the new one  ...

kr

Juergen