From: Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: Re: bdx 2GB Limit?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:26:00 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi, all...

These are all great suggestions. I have converted all of my mbox-based accounts to mdir (CGP 5.4.10 on OS/2). Discounting the file size limit for a moment, there are a number of important reasons why one would not want to allow mbox files to grow to such sizes, not the least of which are risk of data loss (a damaged mbox file means the potential loss of thousands of messages in one shot), performance, and backup (locking a 1+ GB file simply to back it up - or *not* being able to access it for backup because it's in use - can be a major issue.

I've used Niversoft's script to just convert mbox files one account at a time to mdir (I host some pretty involved foldering for some people, not limited to just the inbox and sent folders, but several layers deep, with archival storage, to boot). The process has been extremely smooth and painless. Making each message its own file makes backups a snap (even though puling the data can take considerably longer, just for the sheer number of files on the server), and while rare on a RAID array, a damaged file won't destroy an entire folder of messages.

Until we have a CGP 6 build for OS/2 I can't comment on sliced mailboxes and how they perform. (In my case, all mailboxes are on JFS volumes.) Still, at least switch to mdir. You'll be glad you did. :-)

On 04/22/15 06:08 pm, Tom Rymes thus wrote :
Better yet, make sure that the user and/or domain is set to use your preferred format for new mailboxes. Then make sure that the user has all clients closed, including mobile. From there, log into webmail and rename the inbox. CGP will automatically create a new one in the specified format.

Tom

PS:  if you are running into this problem with inboxes, it's only a matter of time before you run into this problem with sent mail folders.

On Apr 22, 2015, at 5:27 PM, Juergen P. [core] <juergenp@core.at> wrote:

hi,

yes you can convert to sliced or maildir mailbox ...

there are many ways to do that. here's a script for example from niversoft : http://www.niversoft.com/products/cgscripts/#convert_mailboxes
you can also create a new user with the correct settings and copy the contents of that account to the new one  ...

kr

Juergen

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:01:07 -0500
 Lyn <lynlist@nowdata.com> wrote:
 Is there an alternative? Not sure if it's possible, but would converting the existing mailbox to a different format such as .mslc help?

 Thanks

 On Apr 22, 2015, at 3:54 PM, Juergen P. [core] <juergenp@core.at> wrote:

 hello,

 yes, 2 gig is limit.

 kr

 juergen

 On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:13:29 -0500
  Is there a finite limit to the size an INBOX.mbox can reach? Getting bounces for a specific account, and while the overall account reports to have plenty of available space, the INBOX is at 2.1G. I’m pretty sure messages are bounced because of this size.

  INBOX.bdx 1.1MB
  INBOX.mbox 2.1GB

  CGP 6.0.11
  CentOS

  Thanks -

  Lyn

 --
 Best Regards

 Juergen Paulhart

 VoIP / SIP / IM / E-Mail : juergenp@core.at <mailto:juergenp@core.at>
 TEL: +43 676 30 592 44
 VoIP Support:  +43 1 236 46 60 600
 ***  IT Security, Cloud based Communication Technologies & Hosted Unified
 Communications ***

--
Best Regards

Juergen Paulhart

VoIP / SIP / IM / E-Mail : juergenp@core.at
TEL: +43 676 30 592 44
VoIP Support:  +43 1 236 46 60 600
***  IT Security, Cloud based Communication Technologies & Hosted Unified
Communications ***

--
Lewis