From: Shaun Gamble <listrdr@redco.com.au>
Subject: Re: CGP on Windows and helper problem
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 11:52:19 +1000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Well, support told me this problem would be fixed in the next release of CGP. 6.0.11 was released and the problem still exists. I confirmed it today.

I have started moving a number of my clients across to GMail.

On 20/12/2014 5:48 AM, Bret Miller wrote:
You're right about that. Windows has always been kind of a second-class stepchild for CGP. I don't have ground to stand on since we dropped CGP for user mailboxes and just use the community edition for lists and relay now. Wish I'd written more of the helpers in Perl so I wasn't stuck to Windows for CGP. But the scripts help.

On 12/9/2014 7:30 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
Bret,

Thank you. Your scripts are saving my butt at the moment with this problem. I'm probably going to look at automatically killing CGP when the problem arises and then start the service. I am currently logging in to do this manually anyway.

I have now lost a customer due to this so I am currently looking at alternative software. The problem really is unacceptable. Stalker do not appear to have taken this problem seriously.

On 14/10/2014 7:07 AM, Bret Miller wrote:
It's definitely gotten better since I first upgraded to 6.0.x. Now you don't always have to kill all the helpers before you restart them, but you still have to restart them manually. I could probably figure out how to code a POST request to webadmin to do that. It just hasn't been crashing enough to warrant it--mainly because I've fixed a lot of the bugs causes the crashes here. Now it's usually SpamAssassin crashing or Windows LDAP hanging when it happens.

Good luck on the attempt to get it fixed. I'd bet there aren't many on maintenance that run CGPro on Windows.

Bret Miller
Manager, Information Technology
Grace Communion International

On 9/28/2014 5:16 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:

Thanks Bret. Sending the email via an external mail server is certainly going to help me.

I've been in contact with my CGP resellers for support and they in turn have talked to CGP. CGP state they didn't know about the problem... right. I only seem to be getting somewhere with this problem since I refused to renew my maintenance until this major bug is fixed. Hopefully they release a fix soon. However I am not holding my breath in anticipation.

On 27/09/2014 12:16 AM, Bret Miller wrote:
Sure. MonitorHelpers.pl is run by Windows Task Manager and sends an email when it detects helpers are down. Of course, this has to use an outside mail system. We use Gmail. Then I use RDP to access the server, run KillHelpers.bat as admin (which I suppose the monitor script could easily do). Then I manually restart the helpers in CGP Admin.

I haven't spent the time to make the helper reset automatic because it doesn't happen often enough, and it's not critical enough for us to warrant the time.

I'm honestly surprised the CGP hasn't fixed this issue yet.

Bret Miller
Manager, Information Technology
Grace Communion International

On 8/27/2014 9:44 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
Bret,

Is there any chance you could share this script?

CGP is now becoming unstable due to this problem. Currently I get told there is a problem with mail not getting through, I remotely log in, kill the main CGP process, restart it and it is fixed. So, as far as I am concerned, CGP has become an unstable product. I need to find a kludge to patch this problem. So I am contemplating regularly just killing CGP and restarting it. However that is pretty drastic so I would like to take a look at your script and see what I can do.

MRTG can see when there is a problem however I cannot send an email notification due to the fact the email server has pretty much crashed. So I need a script which can an eye on the number of "Not Enqueued Messages". If the number starts rising dramatically, it is obviously time to kill and restart the helpers.

Of course, this kludge wouldn't be necessary if the bug introduced with CGP6 was fixed.

On 27/06/2014 1:48 AM, Bret Miller wrote:
On our server, we don't have to kill the CGP process, just all the helpers. Once all the helpers are down, CGP seems to be able to restart them. I have a nice script I run as admin to do that...

On 6/22/2014 11:30 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
Server OS: Microsoft Windows 8
Server Hardware: x86-64 (64-bit)
Server Version: 6.0.9
MAPI Version: 1.54.11.5/1.54.11.5 , 2.60.6/2.60.5

Well, Windows 2012 actually :-)

Is there a fix for being able to make changes to helpers on CGP yet? This notion of having to kill the CGP service, upgrade a helper (or make a change to it through WebAdmin) and then restart the CGP service is becoming ridiculous. Can we get some idea of a fix date?
--

Shaun
Fitzroy Island <http://www.fitzroyisland.com>