From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@gci.org>
Subject: Re: CGP on Windows and helper problem
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 07:16:12 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Sure. MonitorHelpers.pl is run by Windows Task Manager and sends an email when it detects helpers are down. Of course, this has to use an outside mail system. We use Gmail. Then I use RDP to access the server, run KillHelpers.bat as admin (which I suppose the monitor script could easily do). Then I manually restart the helpers in CGP Admin.

I haven't spent the time to make the helper reset automatic because it doesn't happen often enough, and it's not critical enough for us to warrant the time.

I'm honestly surprised the CGP hasn't fixed this issue yet.

Bret Miller
Manager, Information Technology
Grace Communion International

On 8/27/2014 9:44 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
Bret,

Is there any chance you could share this script?

CGP is now becoming unstable due to this problem. Currently I get told there is a problem with mail not getting through, I remotely log in, kill the main CGP process, restart it and it is fixed. So, as far as I am concerned, CGP has become an unstable product. I need to find a kludge to patch this problem. So I am contemplating regularly just killing CGP and restarting it. However that is pretty drastic so I would like to take a look at your script and see what I can do.

MRTG can see when there is a problem however I cannot send an email notification due to the fact the email server has pretty much crashed. So I need a script which can an eye on the number of "Not Enqueued Messages". If the number starts rising dramatically, it is obviously time to kill and restart the helpers.

Of course, this kludge wouldn't be necessary if the bug introduced with CGP6 was fixed.

On 27/06/2014 1:48 AM, Bret Miller wrote:
On our server, we don't have to kill the CGP process, just all the helpers. Once all the helpers are down, CGP seems to be able to restart them. I have a nice script I run as admin to do that...

On 6/22/2014 11:30 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
Server OS: Microsoft Windows 8
Server Hardware: x86-64 (64-bit)
Server Version: 6.0.9
MAPI Version: 1.54.11.5/1.54.11.5 , 2.60.6/2.60.5

Well, Windows 2012 actually :-)

Is there a fix for being able to make changes to helpers on CGP yet? This notion of having to kill the CGP service, upgrade a helper (or make a change to it through WebAdmin) and then restart the CGP service is becoming ridiculous. Can we get some idea of a fix date?
--

Shaun
Fitzroy Island <http://www.fitzroyisland.com>