From: Shaun Gamble <listrdr@redco.com.au>
Subject: Re: IMAP: Disappearing email!?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:17:01 +1000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
It actually sounds as though your client is only using IMAP, however an antivirus program (or similar) may be moving the emails to the Spam folder.

On 14/08/2014 2:29 AM, Gib Henry wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Apple Mail appears to be the culprit.  I don't use it at all for incoming mail, only for sending, yet I found the missing mail in the Spam folder On My Mac (as opposed to on the IMAP server), which does suggest POP, even though
  • the account is an IMAP account, not POP,
  • the account was set to NOT check mail, and furthermore,
  • checking for junk was also turned off!
There's no POP involved as far as I can tell, but the weird behavior, and that of another user, suggest something is happening that shouldn't be.  I'm going to play with it over the weekend and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your responses!  Cheers,
--
Gib Henry

On 8/13/14, 6:00 AM, CommuniGate Pro Discussions wrote:
I have seem people state that they only use IMAP, but email just disappears from their Inbox.  Invariably, there is a POP client configured on a machine somewhere that is still retrieving the messages.

Look in the logs for something like this [UNIX type server]:

$ grep -E 'POP|IMAP|MAILBOX' 2014-08-12_08-00.log | grep jwark@tbaytel.net

08:46:52.195 2 MAILBOX(jwark@tbaytel.net/Trash) {125462} appended @63812: 59+1424 bytes
08:46:52.199 2 MAILBOX(jwark@tbaytel.net/Trash) {125463} appended @65295: 59+1874 bytes
08:46:52.200 2 MAILBOX(jwark@tbaytel.net/INBOX) {713} deleted: cut off
08:46:52.200 2 MAILBOX(jwark@tbaytel.net/INBOX) {712} deleted: cut off

My logs are set to "Low Level" for a lot of things.  You may need that as well.

The 'POP|IMAP|MAILBOX' will show different connections [POP or IMAP] and then MAILBOX modifications that may be related to those connections.  They usually occur really closely in the logs.  I am unsure of how to connect a POP or IMAP session directly with a MAILBOX log entry.

Hope this helps.
--

Jeff Wark
Tbaytel Internet