From: Juergen P. [core] <juergenp@core.at>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Mailserver setup domain name
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:05:11 +0100
To: <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

--- the forwarded message follows ---
From: "Juergen P. [core]" <juergenp@core.at>
To: "CommuniGate Pro Discussions" <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>, "Urs Grützner" <ugruetzner@ems.ch>
Sent: 10 Mar, 14 9:01:42 PM +0100
Subject: Re: Mailserver setup domain name

hi urs,

HELO is not really a problem i guess.  i'm running a cluster with many domains on it
the essentioal thing to know for a mailserver is MX and A record - the helo can be "anything" valid.

for example my servers send a helo like

220 ucs1.core.at ESMTP CommuniGate Pro 6.0.8 is glad to see you!
220 ucs2.core.at ESMTP CommuniGate Pro 6.0.8 is glad to see you!

when servicing  the domain streettalk.at.
  i configurted streettalk.at with mx pointing to ip.ip.ip.ip and also configured a record like mail.streettalk.at pointing to ip.ip.ip.ip.
mail.streettalk.at is an alias for streettalk.at on the cgp server.
in my case PTR  points to something completely different - it is cdn.core.at.
as you can see this can not be an issue.

so as you know you can only put in one entry for a ptr record. if you would serve more domains, you have to have man different ptr-records pointing to one IP. that is not possible.

if you are going to use the @  - entry i suggested before you wont run into problems.

the default webpage stuff can be solved with the @ entry and the correct apache modification - like configuring a default site for unknown requests.
-------
means for http:

you configure on the apache 2 entries ... ems.ch as default site and 1 virtual host pointing to www.ems.at

if a user request now ems.ch  the dnsserver sends the ip of the @ - entry back to the users - the ip of the default server. apache receives the requests and sends back the default site ems.ch wich is defined via the @-entry.
if a user request www.ems.ch, apache sends back via virtual host.

----
smtp works then also because a default entry wont be ever queried by a mailserver.

---

so give it a try and change your dns as suggested previously.
it would also be necessary to add the alias mail.ems.ch to your ems.ch domain on cgp.

greetings

juergen

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:16:04 +0100
  Urs Grützner <ugruetzner@ems.ch> wrote:
  Thanks for your answers.

  The wish of the webmaster was, that ems.ch works like www.ems.ch

  My wish as postmaster is, that we don't have DNS problems….

  so everything not found will be addressed to the webserver - i guess that is what you want.

  Not really. The problem seems to be, that some recipient SMTP do not have a successful result for the reverse DNS lookup. They seem to search for ems.ch and find the IN A result which is the IP of the web server. In fact ems.ch is first a SOA entry. Through the MX record a cascading query should land successfully on the correct IP of the mail server, but this seems not to work always.

  If they would query directly for mail.ems.ch they would come to the IP of the mail server, but Massimo's tip unfortunately does not work. Our CGP Version does has the field to answer the HELO with a "mail" prefix.

  Must we go back and let ems.ch to point to the mail server?  However the web user must then write www.ems.ch, but this seems to be a less critical drawback.

  Thanks for further advise

  Urs

  From:    "Juergen P. [core]" <juergenp@core.at>
  Date:    Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:22:40 +0100
  To:    "CommuniGate Pro Discussions" <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>, "Massimo Bolzoni" <massimo.bolzoni@answervad.it>

  hello,

  ems.ch points to a different ip  than your mailserver.
  i would replace
   ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5;   identical to www.ems.ch

  with
  @ IN A 192.162.28.5

  this is a pointer to a default address ems.ch - like the domain name -  "@" represents zone origin
  so everything not found will be addressed to the webserver - i guess that is what you want.

  kr

  On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:01:38 +0100
   Massimo Bolzoni <massimo.bolzoni@answervad.it> wrote:
   Ciao,

   Il giorno 10/mar/2014, alle ore 14.51, Urs Grützner ha scritto:

   CommuniGate Pro SMTP 5.1.16

   Our domain is ems.ch

   In the DNS we have the following entries

   ems.ch IN SOA
   ems.ch IN MX mail.ems.ch
   www.ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5 = Webserver
   ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5;   identical to www.ems.ch
   mail.ems.ch IN A 194.209.14.153 (Mailserver)
   While sending mails have sometimes the problem with DNS failure. The cause is most probably the fact, that our server answers with 220 ems.ch and not with 220 mail.ems.ch
   Yes that may be....

   Other reason can be the DNS queried by the CGP that has bad info on it, or the recipient domains are not correctly configured or they use a non professional DNS system.

   I am not sure where exactly this answer is to be set. I guess the Main Domain Name "ems.ch" itself  should not to be changed, or am I wrong?

   You are right the MDN can not be changed, but you can pre-append a string to the MDN for sending email in the latest version of CGP (not sure in 5.1.x):

   Ciao

   Max

   Thanks for advise

   Urs

   -------------------------------------------------------------------                   Urs Gruetzner                               ugruetzner@ems.ch
         Engineering Management                 Phone +41 31 326 2323
         Selection E.M.S. AG                    Fax   +41 31 326 2320
         Neuengasse 39 P.O.B. 6019       mobile   +41 79 341 52 92
         CH-3001 Bern Switzerland                    http://www.ems.ch

   Massimo Bolzoni - Solution Architect
   Mob.: +39 335 5278936

--
Best Regards

Juergen Paulhart

VoIP / SIP / IM / E-Mail : juergenp@core.at
TEL: +43 676 30 592 44
VoIP Support:  +43 1 236 46 60 600
***  IT Security, Cloud based Communication Technologies & Hosted Unified Communications ***
   thug nature  <<<