From: Jim Steil <jim@qlf.com>
Subject: Re: Email Archiving Feature Request
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:47:39 -0600
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Shaun

Feel free to hit me up off the list if you want some info on how we're using it.  We don't have archiving requirements but use it anyway.  This means that I probably haven't looked into each of your requirements to see if the solution is applicable.  We use the community (free) edition but if you want support you can upgrade to a fully supported commercial version.

I'd be happy to share what we've learned using it.

    -Jim

On 11/24/2011 12:04 AM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
On 24/11/2011 2:23 AM, Jim Steil wrote:
Have you looked at MailArchiva?  It's awfully simple to set up and the open source version is completely free.

I had not heard of it. Thank you. I'll take a look.

On 11/22/2011 9:56 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:
My current archiving solution:

 * All emails are mirrored to one main domain account used only email
   archiving.
 * This account has a number of account level rules to store all emails

   (mirrored to it) in seperate folders, such is
   ~archiveaccount@mailserver.dom/domain1,
   ~archiveaccount@mailserver.dom/domain2, etc.
 * Due to the 2GB limit and some other factors, all folders are MDIR.
 * I also keep folders called
   ~archiveaccount@mailserver.dom/Archive/domain1,
   ~archiveaccount@mailserver.dom/Archive/domain2, etc. I manually move
   (via TB-IMAP) files into the Archive section after a small period of

   time
 * To save on hard drive space, after a nominated time, I manually move

   all emails in subfolders of Archive (at the file system level, not
   via IMAP) to a similar file structure on a NAS device.

This is all time consuming. If I could configre the archiveaccount email account to have all of its files located on the NAS instead of on the server, then I wouldn't have to worry about moving files around. However I need all other accounts to keep their files located on the server. I realise this is probably not possible now. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

If I am right, could this possibly be placed in the to be looked at future incusions by the developers?

Why I hear you ask?

Due to legal reasons, it is not uncommon for me to regularly go searching for an email that may have been created 2, 3 (or even more) years ago. This is why I have to keep a backup of every email each account sends and receives. We currently have about 6 years of emails archived. (I've just realised I've had CGP for over 6 years.) As such, currently I simply copy the folder back onto the server and use ThunderBird to search the emails (only ever using the archiveaccount email account).

It would be a lot easier if I could do the following:

1. Have server rules that could allow me to automatically archive
   emails to a nominated email account, setup solely for archiving
   purposes (currently mirrorto is used but it alters the headers -
   legally, not cool)
2. Allow the configuration of the archiving setup, such as
   ~archiveaccount@mailserver.dom/domain/account/year and the emails
   filed appropriately
3. Allow the archiving account to be located on a seperate filesystem
   location to the rest of the email accounts

The reason I ask for number 2, is the number of rules I have to create to make sure the mirrored email is filed in the right folder is quite numerous, BCC emails cause all sorts of havoc. Every time we have staff changes, the potential exists to have to change the rules again. In built archiving to the server would be updated everytime an account was created or changed or even deleted.

--
Jim Steil
VP of Information Technology