From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: Cached deleted messages
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:24:28 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I also have an internal script which iterates over all mailboxes issuing an EXPUNGE imap command, which purges those deleted items.

Pretty straightforward but I can share it if needed.

Nicolas

On 2011-08-03 21:46, Shaun Gamble wrote:
If you are using MAPI, then you need to set the configuration of the MAPI client (through Outlook) to erase immediately.

Sorry about including a picture but I thought it easier to show you.

If using an IMAP account, then simply set the Outlook setting to empty the Deleted Items at exit.

There's no way to easily do it from the server, unless you run one of Niversoft's scripts to routinely delete messages out of the specified folder after a certain number of days.

IHTH.

On 4/08/2011 11:27 AM, Paul_Dudley wrote:
Thanks Emre however this setting refers to items in the Trash folder and also only seems to come into effect when you logout from webmail via your browser.
I am referring to messages deleted or removed by Outlook which seem to remain cached on the server in the folder they were deleted from. When you login to your account via webmail you can see these messages are still cached in their original folder. What I want to know is how long they are cached there and is it possible to change the length of time that they remain there. They seem to be marked as deleted or removed but are not actually removed. You can login via webmail and undelete them.

These cached messages are causing problems with users quota when it is full.

Thanks&  Regards
Paul

From: Paul_Dudley

Thanks Nicolas but it appears that this link only refers to Exchange mail servers or purely IMAP connections. I have checked and I don't have the Purge option under Edit.

I have also looked under all the other Toolbar options and the Purge option does not appear anywhere.

These cached emails eventually disappear so there must be reason. We do stop and restart the CommuniGate service at 4 am every Sunday morning, maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks&  Regards

Paul

That link may help you:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/purge-imap-items-marked-for-deletion-HP010080420.aspx

under "Automatically purge the deleted items".

NH

Nicolas Hatier, ing.<  <mailto:nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>  nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Niversoft idées logicielles -<http://www.niversoft.com>  http://www.niversoft.com

On 2011-07-14 19:22, Paul_Dudley wrote:

We are using version 5.2.19 on a Red Hat linux server. Clients are either Outlook 2007 or 2003.

I see that messages deleted by Outlook seem to remain cached on the server in the folder they were deleted from - you can see them when you login via webmail and there is even an option to undelete them. All staff have their account set to delete the message (not just mark for deletion) and move the message to the Trash folder. The cached deleted messages remain there even after staff close and restart Outlook.

This plays havoc with staff whose usage is up at their quota limit. Is there a way to clear these cached messages more quickly or a setting to set to stop this caching?

Thanks&  Regards

Paul

Paul Dudley

Senior IT Systems Administrator