From: Hannes Hromadka <Hrom.0611.nospam@aon.at>
Subject: Re: IPv6 improvement in 5.4rc3 for mail
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 19:24:00 +0200
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

Hello:

Some updates to IPv6 on mail sending with 5.4rc3-m

On 14.04.2011 17:24, Lyle Giese wrote:
> On 4/13/2011 11:33 AM, Lyle Giese wrote:

>>> It can only do that if the "other end" - that is, the remote MTA to
>>> which mail is being sent - has a corresponding AAAA record for an MX
>>> server which is listening on an IPv6 address. If the other end is IPv4
>>> only, then your OS will fall back to IPv4.

I have my setup improved now, SIXXS is the tunnel broker I use. Reverse
DNS working now.

>> I switched over to the latest beta on Friday. For now, I have not gotten
>> it to work for sending email via IPv6. I need to do more testing.
>>
>> However CGPro is working (at least for me) for incoming email via IPv6.
>>
>> I have not discovered a working syntax for using an IPv6 address in a
>> router record.

routing mails out via IPv6 using router statements did not work in
5.4rc1. But it works since 5.4rc2

>> And my testing of a FQDN in a router record indicates, CGPro takes that
>> FQDN and does an MX lookup against it then an A record lookup and never
>> does do a AAAA record lookup. CGPro seems to stop if the A record is
>> missing for the FQDN and not really sure why it's doing an MX record
>> lookup against a FQDN in a router record. But I need to retest and
>> confirm this.

This is corrected in 5.4rc3-m (tested the linux version).

Now cgate reads the AAAA records for hosts in MX records.

Tested it following instructions from this thread in SIXXS forum
https://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-3600009

>> I had limited time to test on this last Friday and I do have a support
>> ticket open with Stalker on this issue.
>>
>> Lyle Giese
>> LCR Computer Services, Inc.
>>

> I just retested and confirmed that an FQDN in a router record tries to
> use the MX record then A record for that FQDN.  IMHO, router records
> should be host names and they should not be doing MX lookups.
>
> To use an IPv6 literal in a router record:
>
> lcrcomputer.com = lcrcomputer.com@[2607:fcb8:1800:7::2]
>
> So CGPro can send email via IPv6, but it's NOT fully IPv6 compatible yet.

Also releaying everything to an IPv6 address in the smtp module works
since 5.4rc2.

    Hannes