From: Brian Gibson <gibson_brian@wheatoncollege.edu>
Subject: Re: Spam Practices
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:43:42 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
We front end our CGPro server with an inexpensive Barracuda Model 400. It helps combat all the spam but the problem is the Barracuda creates separate quarantine accounts for every possible address so it doesn't know that gibson_brian@wheatoncollege.edu and bgibson@wheatoncollege.edu are the same person on the back end. You can use their LDAP Accelerator feature to fix this but it means you have to keep an external LDAP database (and to be safe probably 2 of them) up to date with all of your possible email addresses.

It's a pain but it has kept the CGPro server protected from spam.

On 5/12/2011 11:34 AM, David Brookfield wrote:
I've moved to the Google postini a while back, and it's made a difference, what I really like is the simple page that goes to the user where they can allow the mail to be delivered if they so wish. I've got mail from several accounts being forwarded to me and it's proven to be quite effective. I also like the fact you can choose the accounts you wish to be filtered, it's not a case of all or nothing. On some domains we have two or three accounts that are bombarded with spam and others not; so they're not filtered. I do know many people also use Nicholas's product from Niversoft with good results.

Regards

On Thu, 12 May 2011 09:32:59 -0500
 "dhazzard@yoursummit.com" <dhazzard@yoursummit.com> wrote:
 Hello everyone,

 I wanted to take a poll on what everyone is doing to combat spam
these days.  Our system has been working pretty well with Spamassassin
3.2.5 (with several RBLs, especially barracuda's).  We have started to
see an increase lately and training on these messages doesn't seem to
be very effective.

 Regards,
 -Dana

 To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to