From: Hannes Hromadka <Hrom.0611.nospam@aon.at>
Subject: Re: Calendar and dates before 1.1.1971
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:25:47 +0200
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hello:

On 28.03.2011 02:39, Juergen P. wrote:

> cgatepro's calendar is not a birthday calendar or reminder. it is used
> for scheduling.

A birthday is an event which is repeated every year, nothing more.

> if you'll need a birthday-reminder, you could write yourself a script
> which handles that.
> some application what creates an ical-event.
> this script could be executed once a day, scans some database and
> calculates the actual age.
> (data could be stored as ldap data for example)

Why should I waste disk space and flood my server with hundred duplicate
entries?
A recurring event is stored only once in the server.

On 28.03.2011 12:40, Juergen P. wrote:

> my nonsense:
> we have 2011, now, i think -
> why do you want to enter dates 1942 for example? the only effect you'll
> have is having created many repeated events in the calendar folder.
> that is nonsense :-)
>
> don't you need disk-space for other things?

Please check how repeated events are stored in iCal.

Maybe you have old applications like the "event list" application I have
on my Palm V. Such old applications indeed create multiple entries in
the calender wasting storage space.

When I store a historical event which is repeated regulary in my
calendar I do not like to have to have a note added to the event to know
when the first occurence was 8-(

Thunderbird/lightning does it right when storing caledendars locally,
there are also no problems whith historical events in MS-Outlook.

Only CGate has this annoying bug.

    Hannes